My Photo

Leanna Hamill, Attorney at Law

  • 160 Old Derby St., Suite 456
    Hingham, MA 02043
    t. 781.749.2284
    f. 866.573.6429
    Leanna @
  • I provide estate planning services for families and individuals on the South Shore and surrounding areas of Massachusetts, working with clients to draft Wills, Trusts, Durable Powers of Attorney, and other instruments to protect their families. I also assist older individuals and their families as they plan for the future, or deal with a crisis situation. Please see the "About" page for more information on my practice areas, or call my office today to schedule a consultation.

    Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 781-749-2284.


  • Copyright
    All writings on this blog are property of the author and may not be copied. Links and trackbacks are welcomed.
  • Advertising. In accordance with rules established by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. This web site must be labeled "advertising." It is designed to provide general information for clients and friends of the firm and should not be construed as legal advice, or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the website publisher. The webiste should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. Leanna Hamill is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts only.


« Upcoming Speaking Engagements | Main | The New Nursing Home »


Angie R.

My aunt just passed away without a will. She has no tangible assets to distribute.
I did have her power of attorney prior to her death. A few bills are coming in now. Her mail had been forwarded to my address . Am I responsible for paying those bills?

Leanna Hamill

I'm not able to give specific legal advice without a complete review of the situation, but in general a person is not responsible for bills that were solely in the deceased person's name.
You should let her creditors know that she has passed away, and if there are no assets being distributed and not probate being opened, you should let them know that as well.
If you need additional assistance, please give me a call.

The comments to this entry are closed.

Receive New Posts by Email