My Photo

Leanna Hamill, Attorney at Law

  • 160 Old Derby St., Suite 456
    Hingham, MA 02043
    t. 781.749.2284
    f. 866.573.6429
    Leanna @
  • I provide estate planning services for families and individuals on the South Shore and surrounding areas of Massachusetts, working with clients to draft Wills, Trusts, Durable Powers of Attorney, and other instruments to protect their families. I also assist older individuals and their families as they plan for the future, or deal with a crisis situation. Please see the "About" page for more information on my practice areas, or call my office today to schedule a consultation.

    Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 781-749-2284.


  • Copyright
    All writings on this blog are property of the author and may not be copied. Links and trackbacks are welcomed.
  • Advertising. In accordance with rules established by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. This web site must be labeled "advertising." It is designed to provide general information for clients and friends of the firm and should not be construed as legal advice, or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the website publisher. The webiste should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. Leanna Hamill is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts only.


« Home Visits | Main | Appraising Long-Term Care Insurance »


Cheryl Williams


My name is cheryl Williams, I want to know if one sibling could receive a power of attorney when there are other surviving siblings?


A Power of Attorney is a document that would be drawn up by the parent assigning someone, usually a spouse or child, to manage their finances and property in the event of the parent's incapacity. A parent can certainly choose one child to act as their agent under the power of attorney, even if there are other siblings.



what are the obligations of a durable power of attorney in regard to providing information to other siblings

Leanna Hamill

It depends on the language in the power of attorney. Some documents have language requiring the acting power of attorney to account to the alternate agents, which may be the siblings. In general, however, an agent under a power of attorney has no obligation to report to their siblings. If the siblings suspect that the agent is misusing funds, they may need to get the Court involved.

The comments to this entry are closed.

Receive New Posts by Email