I posted earlier about questions to ask your parents, and I'm noticing that more and more people are asking me that. You can review the categories on the right hand side of this site to get an idea of the things people should have in place, and below are some more questions that can get you started:
- Have you signed a Health Care Proxy so that someone will be able to make health care decisions for you if you are unable?
- Have you discussed your wishes for end of life care with that person? Have you given a copy of the Health Care Proxy to them and to your doctor?
- Have you signed a Durable Power of Attorney so that someone can manage your finances and property for you if you are unable? Does that person know where to find your important papers?
- Do you have a list somewhere of all your accounts, property, passwords, insurance policies, real estate and other important information?
- Have you updated your Will recently to make sure it still reflects your wishes? Are the people you appointed to serve as executor still available?
- Have you noticed any changes in Mom/Dad that worry you?
If your parents, or you, are ready to get your plans in place and start 2009 off on the right foot, call my office for an appointment.