The Boston Globe has a recent feature outlining 8 ways to make life easier for your heirs after you pass away. The things they recommend are:
- Write a will and keeping it updated,
- Compile all important information in a notebook - a list of your contacts, burial wishes, account information and where your assets are located, etc.
- Review your beneficiaries of your retirement accounts and life insurance policies to make sure they are current,
- Make stock and bond certificates easy to find,
- Set aside cash to pay last expenses such as burial and utilities on real estate,
- Write a family letter that passes along your values, and perhaps explains some of your decisions,
- Clear out clutter,
- and talk to your family now about your plans.
These are good ideas, and things I usually recommend to clients as well. Read the feature here.